Monday, March 30, 2009

Terrapin Side Project #5: Monk's Revenge Review

Ok, been a bit since my last post. Last week was a bit odd. We had an industry audit going on at work and the twins tried to escape a few weeks early from my wife so I spent a few days shuttling back and forth between work and the hospital.

Anyway, on to the beer. I was lucky enough to pre-order some of the new Terrapin Side Project that came out last week. Up to this point I had been pretty underwhelmed by this series of beers. #3 Gamma Ray Wheatwine was nice but #4 and #2 (Dos Cocas Chocolate Porter and The Rauchbier) both left a bit to be desired. Not so the #5, appropriately called Monk's Revenge. Anyway, it is billed as a Belgian Style Double IPA. Terrapin says it is a mix of the malt profile from a Belgian Triple with the Hop profile of an American Double IPA. I really don't care because it is soooo damn good. Reminds me very much of an Allagash Triple but with a tad more hops. Packs a pretty good punch too coming in a 9.6% abv and 99IBUs. Thing is though, the hops are nicely hidden and this does not seem like a beer with close to a 100 ibu rating. Very nice and malty up front, has a bit of the Belgian funk going on in the middle which I really enjoy. A very smooth finish with the hop aroma lingering for a bit in you mouth.

If you can get your hands on a bottle of this give it a shot. I was lucky enough to snag a 1/6 barrel keg! Plan on letting it rest for a bit and tapping it some time late spring. I'll give this Terrapin Side Project 4.5 out of 5 pints. Well done, they finally took a crazy idea and knocked it out of the park.

No comments: