Friday, January 22, 2010

What is in a Name?

There has been much discussion by beer drinkers on the web about beer snobbery. A recent article in one of my favorite beer publications, Beer Advocate discussed the term. Just looking at the definition of the word snob tells you all you need to know.

"Snob" - One who blatantly imitates, fawningly admires, or vulgarly seeks association with those regarded as social superiors or one who tends to rebuff, avoid, or ignore those regarded as inferior, one who has an offensive air of superiority in matters of knowledge and taste.

The article suggested the term "beer geek" as more appropriate for someone who loves beer and wants to spread their knowledge of craft beer to others. I can agree to that.

So, why do I call my self the Atlanta Beer Snob? Well it all started as a joke in college. Back at a time when all my roommates were drinking Natural Light, Bud Light, Miller Lite, Icehouse, Milwaukee's Best ect. I could be seen sneaking in a Newcastle Brown Ale, Bass or Sam Adams into my beer fridge. Yes it sat alongside my case of Coors Light but for some reason my buddies termed me the beer snob of the house. Thus the term just stuck. I don't see my self as a true snob when it comes to beer. I don't look down my nose at anyone for what they are drinking but I will try to help them find a craft brew they would like. I guess I am more of just a beer lover who wants to see everyone open up to what beer can be! It is always fun to watch someone try their first big beer and see their reaction when they realize just what good beer can taste like.

Anyways, I'll be sticking with the snob in the name but am going to throw some quotation marks around it since it was more a jokng name given in good fun rather than a condescending term meant to describe one as thinking they are too good for common beer.

As always, Happy Drinking!

No comments: