Thursday, February 16, 2012

Wynkoop Brewing Company

My 2nd stop on my Denver Brewery tour was at Wynkoop Brewing Company. A nice looking place on the corner near Coors Field and the river. Walker right in and was able to get a seat at the bar. Pretty good crowd that started to fill in even more after we sat down. The brewery and restaurant is 3 stories with tables and games up stairs and a local theater downstairs. Having had a nice dark beer at Great Divide, I wanted to lighten it up a bit. Ended up seeing that they had their London Calling IPA on cask, excellent. Pour nice, a bit hazy with just a hint of lace on top. Very nice and smooth, very subhttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.giftle hop note to end and a tad sweet in the middle. One of the better true English Style IPAs I have ever had. Even better with it being at cellar thttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifemp and on cask. Not too much carbonation forcing the hops through. Well balanced and I wish I could find this style around here in Atlanta. My buddy had the Russian Imperial Stout (again with the dark beers Ken, wth?) It was good but I was too lost in my perfect pint of cask IPA. I'll give the London Calling IPA on Cask a solid 4 out of 5 pints.

Only issue we had at Wynkoop was not discovered until a few days later. On the way out I decided to get a growler of something to lighten the mood up over thhttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gife growler of Great Divide Smoked Baltic Porter that was already in the car. Got a sample of the Wixa Weiss, a very nice unfiltered wheat beer. Good for cleansing away a hard day of skiing. Ordered the growler, picked it up and headed on to the rest of our journey. When we opened the growler the next evening and poured the first beer we knew something was off, it poured clear. Hmm, tasted it and yep, not the Wixa Weiss. It was ok (whatever it was) but something was a bit off. Only thing I can figure it was is either the Two Guns Pilsner or the Light Rail Ale. Regardless, don't know what is was and we were disappointed not to have the Wixa.

The overall feel of the place was great, a good looking joint and the food smelled great, but alas we had miles to go until we ate.

Wykoop Brewing Company Taproom 3.5 pints out of 5 (looses a point for giving me the wrong beer in my growler!)

Next stop, Strange Brewing Company...

Happy Drinking!!

No comments: