Monday, January 5, 2009

New Year, a new beer....

Got back from the land of 3.2 beer (Utah) in one piece. I will say I was pleasantly surprised in the beer selection in the land of Mormon. Tried a few very tasty brews at the Wasach Brewing Company including an excellent Christmas Ale. There was an upstairs "private" club where I am guessing you pay a nominal membership fee and can get in on the high gravity beer (much like the bars in dry counties across the SE US). Picked up 2 sixers of Full Sail Brewing's IPA. A very nice IPA, just right for a post skiing refreshment.

Went to visit the folks in Savannah and ran across a great new bar. The Distillery was suggested by my father of all people. Apparently my fondness of all things beer have begun to rub off on him. He remembered a review about it that he had read in the local fish wrapper so we decided to check it out. Nice open layout in an interesting location. Plenty of seats at the bar and tables and booths for those there to eat or meet up in larger groups. Food menu was quite good, even had a whole "cheap" food section that included grilled cheese sandwiches and PB&J's. Everything on in the cheap section was $5 or less and you could add a 22oz PBR to your order for a buck! On the high end beer side, they have 21 taps of all craft beer. You won't find Bud or Miller on draft (you will find it in a bottle if you must). They had a great selection on draft, all my favs where there: Dogfish, Victory, Stone, Moon River ect. I was very happy to see that the Stone selection they had on draft was Arrogant Bastard (excellent). I order one, my dad picked the Dogfish 90min, brother Will chose the 60min and I ordered Mom a Victory Prima Pils. Everyone was quite pleased. I think I have turned my whole family into Hop heads. Mom drinks beer (Corona or Coors Light) but had never had a big beer (Arrogant Bastard) or really any good craft beer (Prima Pils, one of the best). She really liked the Prima and even liked the AB, she even commented that she couldn't believe I like some of the beer I drink (Finished the night off with an Oskar Blues 1050) but don't drink coffee. Eh, most coffee isn't as good as the beer and doesn't have alcohol in it! Anyway, that is it for now. New beer reviews will be coming as well as an in depth review of my Pale Ale homebrew.

No comments: