Wednesday, June 10, 2009

French Broad Brewing - 13 Rebels ESB Ale Review

Picked up a 22 oz bomber of this last week figuring I would give a nice regional beer a chance. I had heard of French Broad brewing before but this was the first one of thier beers that I had seen for sale in Georgia. So here goes....

Poured a very nice deep copper with a slight hint of red to the color. A light and lacy head. Nice toasty malt aroma, maybe a slight bit of molasses. Good and smooth to start, nice bitter note fading into a smooth sweet malt middle. A tad bitter at the finish leading to a strange piny aftertaste when the beer was cold. Once this one warmer up a bit the piny aftertaste disapeared and ended up being a bit more floral. Very smooth drinking. If the finsh was cleaned up a bit this would be a darn good beer. As it is, this is a pretty decent beer and does make me want to try a few more French Broad Brewing offerings. I'll give it 2.5 pints out of 5.

Happy Drinking!!

No comments: