Monday, June 8, 2009

Beer of the Week: New Belgian Fat Tire Amber Ale Review

Ok, new feature here from the Beer Snob, my beer of the week. Picked up a 22oz bomber of the new to GA Fat Tire Amber Ale. I have heard greatthings about all things New Belgian and decided I needed to give it a try for myself. The three launch beers for Georgia are the flagship Fat Tire Amber Ale, the 1554 (a black ale) and the Mothership Wit (a wheat beer). I went with the Flagship Fat Tire to start.

A very nice pour, nice clear coppery amber color with a big foamy head. Sweet malt notes in the smell. Some burt biscuit type notes as well. Very sweet and malty to start, loses its kick very fast and fizzles out towards the finish. Very dull after the malt bomb start. A hint of hops at the end? No bitterness at all. Smooth to a fault I would say. I was expecting a little something more to hit me. I am very disappointed. You get a great hit of flavor when you first sip it and then.....nothing. Very odd. Atlanta Brewing Companies Red Brick Ale hits very simliar to start but then packs some nice roasted malt flavor and a good hop aroma. Fat Tire leaves me very wanting and much perplexed in the big talk I have heard about it. Hopefully the 1554 that I bought is much better. I can't recommend Fat Tire to anyone. 1.5 pints out of 5.

I'll have another few random beer reviews this week (Thomas Creek Deep Water Dopplebock Lager and Terrapin 90 Shelling). Happy Drinking!!

No comments: