Friday, May 29, 2009

Tons of Beer Reviews! (Terrapin 30 Strong, Ommegang Rouge, Landshark, Kona Longboard, Bell's Oberon)

Ok, have a few quick reviews to hit.

Kona Longboard Lager: A very fine example of an American Lager. If you like Budweiser and want to take a leap of faith to try another great American lager pick up some Kona. Very refreshing, a nice slight hop note. Pretty good. I'll drink it if offered but won't go out of my way to hunt it down. 3 out of 5.

Landshark Lager: Picked some up for a cook out that we went to on Saturday night. Quite good. A bit crisper than the Kona. Think of it as an American version of Corona with no need to add a lime. 3 out of 5.

Ommegang Rouge: Mmmmm a flemish sour. Excellent. I have to fine somewhere that stocks this in bottles. A wonderful deep red pour. Looks almost like dark red wine. An amazing fruity aroma but with a weird tilt to it. You smell fruit and flowers but there is also a hint of the funkyness to come. Sweet and smooth to start, sour and tart to finish. Love it. 4.5 out of 5.

Terrapin 30 Strong: Terrapin's 30th anniversary Taco Mac beer. Wow, tons going on. Maltbomb but a hop bomb at the same time? Looks like a lager? Huh? Really smooth too. Can't believe it has 8.8% abv. If you can get to a Taco Mac to try it before it is gone I highly suggest it.

Bell's Oberon: I have heard so much about this beer I didn't think that there was any way that it could live up to the hype. I was wrong. Best American Wheat beer I've ever had. Wow, just the right amount of fruityness, a tad bit of funkyness left from the yeast, right amount of hops to add flavor yet keep it drinkable. I need to pick up a few 6ers before the summer is over. 4.5 out of 5.

Well those are the quick reviews for now. Hope to have more in the next few weeks along with my beer of the week reviews. 'Til then, Happy Drinking!

2 comments:

Steve said...

Sorry to have to tell you this, but Ommegang Rouge is not available in bottles--draft only.

Jim said...

Dang. Maybe I'll have to track down a keg of it then....