Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Homebrew Weisbier Review

I got my Weisbier kegged up over the weekend and debuted it down at our neighborhood pool on Memorial day. Along with the new brew I gave my new travel keg kit a try out. I figured this would be a good run for the rest of the summer and for football tailgating this fall. First let's talk about the beer.

It turned out a good bit darker than I was expecting. It looked a lot closer to a brown ale than a lighter wheat beer as I was expecting. It poured well with a decent head that tended to stick around quite a while. Nice crisp and very smooth at the start. A very cool lemon flavor and a slight hop touch to finish. Really nice. It really was a ton better than I expected. Everyone really liked it and I will have to brew this one again a few times this summer. If this had come out of a bottle I would give it a 3.5 out of 5. Pleasantly redrinkable, no aftertaste, a perfect beer for sitting by the pool all day.

The travel keg system also performed without any hiccups. Only mistake I made was attaching the gas connection before I had the CO2 cartridge plugged in and releasing all the pressure I had in the keg initially. No worries though, the little 16g CO2 cartridges did there job. I went through 3 during the afternoon and almost floated the keg, there may be 3 or 4 beers left in the bottom. If I had not lost the initial charge on the keg 3 would have been more than enough to dispense all the beer. I also have a design in my head on how to keep the keg cool during tailgating. I am going to hack up one of my coolers that I really don't like. I'll remove the hinged lid, cut a hole in it just large enough to fit around the keg. I'll get some pictures of the whole rig when I put it all together in the next week or two.

I do have some site related news. Since I have been a bit of a slacker when comes to new beer reviews I am going to do my best to review a new beer a week for the rest of the summer. I also am going to have a few new reviews in the next few days as well as a beer drinkers guide to Japan and Taiwan. Hope you guys enjoy! As always, Happy Drinking!

No comments: