Monday, October 15, 2012

AC/DC - "Back in Black" and "Dirty Deeds" meets Southern Tier Pumking Review

So, why Vinyl and Alcohol? Well I happen to have a few hundred records that I have acquired through either charity (thanks Mom, Dad and others!) or through my own purchases. Besides trying to find good local beer when I am on the road, I also try to hunt down independent local record shops. Anyway, after a bit of inspiration from Counterbalance columns over on PopMatters, I have decided to try to work my way through listening to all my albums. There are a good number I have never even dropped the needle on so I am looking forward to hearing some new things. I'll start with "A" the first week then flop to "Z" the second week and then back and forth. This should break up some of the multiple albums by the same artists a bit (and keep me from reviewing the Beatles for about 9 straight weeks). I figure I have roughly 300 albums, so I'll finish up sometime in the middle of 2018! And since I am going to be listening to some good tunes, what goes better than a good beer. I'll try to pair each listening with a new beer, should give me a good chance to go through some of the interesting stuff in my cellar. Anyways, here goes!

Music: AC/DC - "Back in Black" and "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"
Beer: Pumking by Southern Tier First one off the rack


The 1980 rocker by AC/DC with new front man Brian Johnson.  I don't think that I have ever actually listened to the album.  I don't mind AC/DC but I have never really sought them out, never had a "Man, I really need to listen to some AC/DC right now!" moment.  Looking at the track listing, this thing reads like a greatest hits album.  6 of the 10 tracks are in regular rotation on the classic rock channels, heck I am pretty sure I know most of the words to the songs. 


Ok, on to side one (yes kids, records have these things called "sides", you have to get up and physically turn the record over when you get to the end of the song).  Boom, right off the bat "Hells Bells" blasts onto the scene which then goes right into "Shoot to Thrill".  Rest of side one rolls along quite nicely, just good straight forward rock.  Not songs that I love but probably the perfect background music if you were shooting pool in a bar somewhere.  Side 2 kicks off with "Back in Black" and then you deal with the murderers row of classic rock staples of "You Shook Me all Night Long", "Have a Drink on Me", "Shake a Leg" and closing with "Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution".  Pretty solid record eh?  A good one for sure.  I may not ever seek this record out in the "Man I really need to listen to Back in Black tonight" vein, but if I ever have a few friends over to throw darts, shoot pool and drink some beer then this one may very well make it on the turn table.


Beer pairing with a record is a bit new for me so I just grabbed the beer I've been really looking forward to having again, Southern Tier Pumking.  Damn I love this beer.  Not too much pumpkin, good balance, just the right amount of spice and sweetness balanced well with the alcohol notes.  I have got to get a few more bottles of this before it rides off into the sunset for the next 10 months.  A solid 4.5 pints out of 5.  Really went with the mood of the AC/DC session, smooth, straight ahead good beer.


Ok, now the most surprising review of the night. An oddity in terms of release date, AC/DC's "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap".  Originally released in 1976, it was not released in the US until 1981, a year after "Back in Black".  So you have an album with original lead singer Bon Scott first showing up in the US a year after the mega hit that was "Back in Black" was released with the new lead singer Brian Johnson.  Huh?  Yeah.  I have the US pressing, which apparently is missing some songs from the Aussie release and has others edited a bit differently than the original.  Only two songs I had ever heard from this record were "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" and "Big Balls".  The rest were the first time I had ever heard them.  So what did I think?  Well, I really like this record better than "Back in Black".  Yes BnB is anthem rock royalty but there is just something a little cooler about this record.  Bon's lyrics and delivery are far better than Brain.  He exudes cools and character in every word, BJ just kind of shouts everything on BnB.  The song type varies a lot more on this album, makes it a  much more interesting listen.  I actually have found my favorite AC/DC song on this record, "Ride On".  A menacing slow burn of a song, sounds like AC/DC ripped off Bob Segars "Turn the Page" a bit.  A very cool track.

Final thoughts:

I am going to look forward to listening to a lot of music I have never heard before and finding plenty of hidden gems (like "Ride On").

AC/DC, I am going to have to try to find some of their earlier Bon Scott albums to go through.

Pumking: One of the best seasonal pumpkin beers around.

Happy Drinking (and listening) Everyone!!!

No comments: