Monday, July 13, 2009

Review: Dogfish Head Black and Blue

I have started clearing out the cellaring fridge. I decided it was time to drink some of the few cases of beer I have sitting around instead of buying more! Anyway, I think I picked this bottle up last spring during my trip to Delaware. This ale is dubbed as a raspberry and blueberry packed brew. It pours very dark with a hint of red to the color. The you can smell the berries as soon as you open the bottle. I guess that is where the first problem arose for me about this beer. I know some people look down there noses at "fruit" beers but there are some I tend to like. One of the best I ever had was a blueberry brew from Sea Dog brewing in Maine. Upon my first sip of the Black and Blue I came away pretty disappointed. There was a hint of the fruit flavor but most overwhelming was the alcohol kick on the tail end. I guess I thought there was going to be a much bigger fruit taste to this brew and I was not ready for the burn at the end. Maybe this one is best sampled when it is fresh. I'll give it 1.5 out of 5.

Happy Drinking!

No comments: