Monday, January 23, 2012

Quick Resturant Review: Hi Life in Norcross

My wife and I got a nice date night out (thanks to the in-laws for looking after the boys!) and tried a new place just around the corner from were we live. Hi Life is the name of the restaurant. From the outside it looks a bit diveish? It was suggested to us by my sister-in-law who did a business lunch there. We stepped inside and were immediately greeted by a nice low key interior, kind of American laid back bistro/pub kind of thing. The host and waitress were both very nice and knowledgeable. Very large wine list, good selection of beer on tap (Guinness, Blue Moon, Sweetwater 420 and IPA, Pernoi and Stella, no american light lagers here!) and a very extensive cocktail list. I stated with a Sweetwater 420 and my wife ordered a Cosmo. She stated that the Cosmo was very well done, this planted a small seed in my head for an upcoming cocktail order to verify the ability of the bartender. Anyway, we ordered salads, she got the wedge and I the arugula. Both amazing, the wedge was a nice change up from most as it used boston lettuce instead of iceberg. I could have just eaten my arugula salad it was so good, usually not a fan of pecans, but the way the ones on the salad were toasted was great. Main course, I went with the Guinness and Coffee braised short ribs (came with greens and mascarpone mashed potatoes) and my wife with the Friday night special, 2 Maine Lobster Tails with the claw and knuckle meat, yukon gold mashed potatoes and broccolini. Both entrees were amazing! Short ribs done perfectly and the lobster was great.

Now, my little challenge to the bartender. I ordered a Manhattan with dinner. Why? Well I have a love/hate relationship with Manhattans. A lot of places really don't take the time to make them correctly. Most bars will just make a bourbon martini, i.e. bourbon with some dry vermouth and a cherry thrown in. I can tell when they are made like this just by the look and taste of the dry vermouth. The real way to make a good Manhattan is to use sweet vermouth (preferably red) and a dash or 5 of bitters. My all time favorite Manhattan place is the Bluegrass Tavern in Lexington Ky (187 different types of Bourbon!!!!!). Absolutely perfection in a glass. They also make a mean old fashioned but back to the Manhattan at Hi Life. The first clue they knew what they were doing, she asked what kind of bourbon (I choose Bookers) and asked if I wanted it on the rocks or straight up, not many places ask this when you order a Manhattan. Anyway, I got it straight up, it came out in the correct cocktail glass and I knew just by the look it was right. A very good Manhattan using the correct sweet vermouth and a hint of bitters. If I was going to nit pick and would have liked a few more dashes of bitters but thats just my taste.

So, in closing, Hi Life is a great little laid back hidden spot in a strip mall near Norcross. Great atmosphere, great wait staff, great food, great drinks one heck of a menu and very well priced. For dinner you good go all out and have a $50+ per plate dinner or hang and the bar and order a pizza or burger for a happy hour. I will definitely be heading back the Hi Life sooner rather than later!

Happy Drinking!!

No comments: