Monday, January 9, 2012

Rainy Day = Brew Day

Had a tennis match rained out yesterday so not much else left to do but brew! Decided to give the Dunkelweizen a go. Everything went pretty well but I did run into my first stuck sparge. Guess I'll add some rice hulls to my buy list next time I make a wheat beer. Even with the stuck sparge, I hit a good middle road OG of 1.050. With a good ferment it should put my final gravity somewhere in the 5% range which is about what I was hoping. My recipe is below:

Grain Bill:
5 lbs. - Wheat Malt
2 lb. - Munich Malt
2 lb. - Vienna Malt
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
1/4 lb. - Chocolate Malt

Hops:
.5oz Hallertau (60 min)
.5oz Tettnanger (30 min)

75 Minute Boil
Mash for a little over a hour at 155F.

Using White Labs WLP300 Hefeweizen Yeast

No comments: