Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA Review

I really like this beer. Had for the first time on tap in Virginia. Thanks to Beer Advocate and some of their online beer store guides I found a good beer store near where I am staying this week. Since NY state does not have an abv limit I wanted to find a store that might have some of my high abv favs that I can't get in GA. I was hoping for Dogfish Head 120 Min IPA but found some other favorites, Bear Republic being one of these. Got 2 bottle of Racer 5, a bottle of Bear Republic Hop Rob Ale and then a few bottles of Stone Brewing beer. Here is the Racer 5 review:

Pours a deep orangish copper color. Hazy in clarity. Nice white head forms right away. Very good head retention for the first few minutes, it then settles down to a nice lacing on top of the beer. A good floral smell, hops are right up front. Maybe a little fruity note, apricot, maybe hint of orange? Mouth feel, slightly sweet start but the hops kick in almost right away. Oily feel going through the mouth. Good bitter hops note but not too much, alcohol (7%) is well hidden but does help balance out the hops, you do feel the hops on your teeth between sips. All in all I had forgotten how much I love this beer. May need to stack it up against the 90 min when I get home in a battle royal for my top IPA. If you are a hop and IPA fanatic then go get one of some Racer 5, a supreme example of a West Coast IPA. I have got to figure out a way to get this stuff in GA. 4/2 pints out of 5.

No comments: