Monday, August 4, 2008

IPA is done plus a few Beer Reviews

Gave one of my homebrew IPAs a shoot last night. It is ok, decent hop taste but with a strange hop bitterness, could be the fact that it was a hop extract and not fresh hops used in the brewing. I can taste the honey that I added, actually gives the beer a pretty nice balance with the bitterness that I am not sure would be there otherwise. Pretty smooth, very fizzy carbonation. I am going to let the rest age for a few more weeks and see if anything changes.

Tried three new brews while out on my Carolina swing this week:

First was an XPA (extra pale ale) but I don't remember who brewed it. Was not impressed, very dull taste, just not much there.

Second was the Highland Kashmir IPA, yes I saw this on the menu and remembered my Gaelic Ale experience so I had to order it. Wow, an impressive IPA. This may replace the Dogfish 60 minute as my favorite regular IPA. Very floral smell, great feel in the mouth. Big hops kick. Darker in color than most IPA (almost Bass colored). Going to have to get a 6er of this stuff to give a more in depth review.

Last was Foothills Brewing IPA. Eh, it was pretty good. Probably suffered from having come right after the very impressive Highland offering. Not very hoppy, color was much lighter than the Kashmir. A good beer but nothing stood out about it.

No comments: