Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Beer Snob gets reaquainted with an old Friend...

Few goings on as of late. I began the rearranging of my kegerator set-up. Decided I was sick and tired of foamy beer and constantly having to rebalance the CO2 pressure in my system. So, I am moving the fridge to get it right next to where the taps are mounted in the wall. Sure, I loose some storage space in the basement but it is a small price to pay for good beer. I just need to drill a few new holes and get the air circulation system set back up and I will be good to go. In the process of this move I discovered a possible culprit behind my foamy homebrew. The CO2 inlet valve on the corny (actually it is a firestone keg but very similar) keg is leaky. When I unhooked the air line to move the keg out of the fridge you could hear the pressure leaking out of the keg. Not a big problem, I'll just buy a few spare parts when I order my second corny keg from the intertubes. I want to get all this done in the next few weeks so I can have it up and running for March Madness. I may pick up another commercial 1/6 keg for the tourney as well. Figure I will be done with the Pale Ale by then so I need to brew up my next batch of homebrew. Figure I may tackle it in the next week or two.

So, who is this old friend that I became reacquainted with recently? Well that friend is Pabst Blue Ribbon. Yep, the original cheap and newly hip beer. Had a can last night at trivia and was left quite satisfied. PBR really is one of my all time favs. Yeah it's cheap but I really do like the way it tastes. I'll take a PBR anytime. I do refuse to buy it in bottles, preferring to stick with the 16oz tall boy packaging. Figure I'll have to go pick up a 12 pack or so this weekend. I wonder if they sell it in 1/6 kegs?

A few upcoming beer notes. Going to watch the Duke v. UNC basketball game tonight at Taco Mac. Hope to grab a pint of the ultra-rare Sierra Nevada Hopsecret 393. Only 8 kegs made it anywhere outside of California and they are all here in GA. Only one is being tapped tonight so I hope there is a little left when I get there.

Happy Drinking!

No comments: