Monday, July 23, 2012

A Beer Review? Really?

Four of them in fact! Imagine that, a beer blog with a few beer reviews!

First up, Great Divide Wolfgang Doppelbock Lager.

I'll keep this one simple, Wow. Balanced, smooth, a few hops in there, dead on style. I need to go stock up on this one for the fall and figure out how to rig my kegerator as a place to start lagering. Buy this beer now! My rating, 5 pints out of 5.

My Homebrew Red IPA Hybrid:

This is the 2nd batch of this I have made. My thought when designing this one was, hey I really like Red Ales, I really like hops so let's try to combine them. I'll call it "Redstone" Red IPA. 1st batch was spit on, malty, smooth, good hop kick and it clocked in at a sneaky 8.5%abv. 2nd batch I fooled around with the hop bill a bit and ended up with a much different brew. Sweeter, more flowery, not as much bite on the end. Still good but the Ukrainian judge takes off a half point for the landing. Let's call this one a solid 3 pints out of 5.

Now to the not so hot reviews.

Bomb Lager:

I had a 6 pack of this dropped off at my house by the local rep! I'll give them an A for effort. The cans are very cool with nice art work and boy do I wish the beer could live up to the art and devotion of the area rep. It is called a Helles Lager. Sure, if Miller Lite claims to be a true Pilsner then I guess this is a Helles. Pretty strange up front, I get orange? Reminds me of Sundrop, fizz sticks around and the flavor just disappears. Sure I guess it is smooth but, eh, not much else doing with this one. 1.5 pints out of 5.

Last and least....

Batch 19 Pre-Prohibition Lager:

Ok, maybe the ones I got sat in a hot truck for a month. Tasted like a skunked Milwaukee's Best. So yeah, yuck. If this is truly what Pre-prohibition beer tasted like maybe it's a good thing they stopped making it. .5 a pint out of 5.

That is it for now dear readers,
Happy Drinking!!

No comments: