Monday, July 2, 2012

Asheville, NC: Beer Nirvana?

Close, at least one of the best beer meccas in the eastern USA. So many cool breweries, excellent bars and amazing scenery. I have to admit, I have a bit of a soft spot for Asheville already. I spent a few summers working at a camp near Brevard. With Sierra Nevada, New Belgium and Oskar Blues soon to set up shop in Western NC I think the secret is out. If the new growth allows the small fish to co-exist with the big fish then exciting times are ahead. Can't wait to plan my next trip to Asheville!

I tried to stop by Green Man Brewing but had forgotten that the Euro 2012 final was on. With at least 5 deep at the bar and the temp pushing 100 degrees I hopped back in the car a drove over to the River Arts district and Wedge Brewing Company. Took me a minute to find it but I am really glad I did. Neat little spot near the river and railroad tracks. Lots of nice places to sit outside (if the temp wasn't 100+!). Nice bar inside. Staff were very helpful. Since it was so hot I went for the Pilsner. An odd choice for me as I am really not a big Pilsner fan but damn, this one was incredible! Just right, quenching, a bit hoppy, wow. I guess this is what folks drinking fresh pilsner in Europe have fallen in love with. It surly has challenged me to seek out fresh brewed true pilsners. The only disappointment was I couldn't take any home in a growler. So I grabbed a growler of their Iron Rail IPA and am finishing it off now. A very nice southern IPA, not overly hopped, a tad sweet with a decent bite to balance it out. Not quite as good as the Green Man IPA but better than anything the local boys here in Atlanta have to offer.

So, as Ferris Bueller would say: If you have the means, I highly suggest that you go out and find a way to get to Asheville and drink some of the great beer.

Happy Drinking!!

No comments: