Monday, July 9, 2012

Homebrew: Berliner Weisse Edition

A quick update on my homebrewing front.  Taco Mac is sponsoring a homebrew competition this month and I plan on entering my "Redstone" Irish Red IPA hybrid beer.  Only batch I have to bottle up is the second batch where I had to use Columbus instead of Citra hops and I threw in some of the Tettnang and Hallertauer hops I had left from my dunkelwiezen.  Still a pretty good beer but a tad sweeter than the first batch.  I don't like it as much but have several buddies who tried both batches and they like this one better.  Guess I'll have to wait and see how it turn out.

As for bottling the beer, I tried a home solution to the beer gun about a month or so ago with the last dunkelwiezen and smoked stout.  Plan on popping a bottle of the dunkel tonight to see if the carbonation has held.

On to my latest brew day, did a Berliner Weisse 2 weeks ago.  Learned from the Dunkel regarding using rice hulls during the sparge, worked really well, nothing stuck this time!  Why a Berliner Weisse?  I don't know, figured I like wheat beers and I like sour beers so why not try the only sour wheat beer there is eh?  Should be pretty easy drinking right now best guess is it will clock in around 3.5% abv or so.  Makes it a really nice session beer for the late summer.  Looks like the perfect color in the primary, still bubbling away a little bit.  My wife went down to the basement a few days after I pitched the yeast and she came up complaining that we must have a sewage leak.... Yep that's wheat yeast and Lactobacillus for you.  Anyway, plan to move it over to the secondary in the next few days and then letting it work for another month or so....Hmm maybe the first football game would be a good time to debut this one.

Happy Drinking!!

No comments: